Compassion and empathy with children is the same compassion and empathy for the children grown. And there can be the story of mankind. ~me
Monday, April 30th is Spank Out Day, a day to raises awareness about corporal punishment and non-violent ways to raise children. I am inviting anyone who feels inspired to promote non-violent parenting to participate in this event by writing a post about spanking.
It is important to separate out the action of spanking from the individuals who do the spanking. While I feel strongly that corporal punishment is not an effective way to teach children how to become fully realized, healthy adults, I understand that this can be a deeply emotional and controversial issue. So, I ask writers to be mindful of using evidence-based research and to honor the hearts of parents who are trying to do their best for their families.
Those guidelines will allow for a more powerful message of acceptance and compassion, along with alternative ideas for positive discipline to be spoken and heard.
For inspiration, I suggest you read some of last year’s mini-carnival posts for Spank Out Day:
What will/will not be accepted for the carnival:
- Your post must be yours. Any works by other authors that have inspired your post or are used as resources must be listed in your post. Please list sources for any images used in your post.
- Advertisements or promotions of products or services will not be accepted.
- Posts that support spanking or corporal punishment will not be accepted.
- Previously published posts are accepted, provided they are republished on carnival day and updated with at least one new paragraph introducing your post that talks about republishing and any changes you may/may not make to your post.
- Up to 3 entries per individual are accepted in the carnival, provided they are published on carnival day and meet the other points on this list. Please enter and submit each post separately on the submission form below. If you feel strongly about publishing more than 3 posts, please email me as soon as possible and we can talk about it zoie(dot)touchstonez(at)gmail(dot)com.
- Posts with anonymous writers are welcome. There will be space for several anonymous posts made available both on my blog and on another, per your preference. I understand that this is a controversial and emotional topic that some may find easier to speak about with their identity protected. I will need to communicate with you, but will support you in keeping your post anonymous. If you are interested in this option, please email me as soon as possible zoie(dot)touchstonez(at)gmail(dot)com. The deadline for submitting the full text of an anonymous post is noon PST, April 27, 2012.
- Personal stories are welcome and honored in this carnival. However, overly critical or judgmental posts about individuals who practice corporal punishment or other parenting styles will not be accepted. (To clarify, something such as, “parents who spank are bad/evil/abusive, in my opinion” is not appropriate for this carnival. Something such as, “the [resource citation/link] shows that spanking produces the following types of behaviors in relationships/children/etc” is acceptable for this carnival.)
- Other creative projects are welcome, if you feel inspired. Please email me as soon as possible to discuss your ideas. The deadline for this is noon PST April 27, 2012.
- I reserve the right to remove links to any posts from the final carnival link list on carnival day that do not comply with these points. I will do my best to communicate with the writer, as time allows, on carnival day and work with them to edit the post for carnival acceptance.
If you are questioning whether a post you would like to write will be accepted, I welcome you to email it to me at zoie(dot)touchstonez(at)gmail(dot)com no later than noon PST April 27, 2012, and I will go over your post with you. I would find it helpful if you address specific questions/comments about a post in the body of the email.
To participate, please fill out and submit the form below before midnight PST, Saturday, April 28, 2012. The first carnival link list will be sent out on Sunday, April 29, 2012.
Please schedule your post to go live before 10am PST on carnival day, Monday, April 30, 2012. The final carnival link list will be emailed to the participants later that day.
I hope you will consider participating in the carnival. I am excited to read the participant posts.
If you have trouble accessing the submission form below, you can access it directly here.
~~This sentence is inspired by a famous Steinbeck quote from “East of Eden” on last year’s carnival.