***I’m pleased to note that this is my 108th post!
-An auspicious number to begin this project***
I’m going to go out on a limb and shock many of you when I say that I enjoy Yoga. I’ll bet you had no idea 😉
One of my passions is sharing Yoga with anyone who is open to it. I think Yoga can be infinitely accessible to everyone. If you’ve had a bad experience, then perhaps you didn’t find the right Yoga for you.
There are many interpretations and ways of approaching Yoga. The month of September has been designated National Yoga Month to raise awareness about the benefits of Yoga.
In support of this idea, Lorin from The VeganAsana & YIOM and I have been discussing the upcoming Yoga Month. She requested that all of the members of YIOM: Yoga Inspired Online Movement (aka “Why I Om”) post about similar themes during the month of September.
Even if you are not a member of YIOM, please feel free to participate if a topic seems like something you would like to explore. Or, if you are moved to write about your experience with Yoga during September to spread the word about Yoga Month. I welcome you to link your post up in the comments section and I’ll be happy to help promote it.
Here is Lorin’s post (which you can also find directly here):
In honor of National Yoga Month (September), the wonderful Zoie of TouchstoneZ: Gentle Parenting and Mindful Living Off the Mat suggested that the YIOM group participate. Her idea, which I think is a fabulous one, was that we focus on two limbs of yoga for each week of the month. At the end of the week (Saturday), I’ll post a “round-up” of all of the posts from that week, so that interested readers can easily find them. Any YIOM blog that would like to participate is welcome! If your schedule doesn’t permit participation, that’s perfectly fine as well.
The weekly themes are:
- Week 1 – Yama (ethical restraints) and Niyama (personal observances)
- Week 2 – Asana (body postures) and Pranayama (breath control)
- Week 3 – Pratyahara (sense withdrawal/control) and Dhyana (concentration)
- Week 4 – Dhyana (devotion, meditation) and Samadhi (union with the divine)
We ask that everyone utilize one of the National Yoga Month banners on each post. They can be found at http://www.yogamonth.org/marketing_materials.php#banners and the code for one banner is below.
We look forward to seeing the wonderful writings of YIOM members on these important topics!
- Get your Butt on the Mat, Get your Butt on the Mat, Get your Butt on the Mat (touchstonez.com)
- Yama Niyama and the Red Pajama Mama: Part 2 (touchstonez.com)
- Mini Restorative Yoga for Moon Time (touchstonez.com)
- Swammie Mommie Guest post by Judith Lasater (touchstonez.com)
- Between Earth and Sky… Late Summer Healing Guest post by Cora Wen (touchstonez.com)